Pages

Friday 2 August 2013

Welcome to my World

Hi, my name is Beckit, and this blog is going to follow my crafting and artistic activity. You can also find me on Facebook and Tumblr where I post things a bit more frequently if you like my work or just want to know what I'm up to.

I have a day job, but I feel much more at ease when I'm at my desk at home, in front of my computer with my music playing and something fun to make.

As an introduction to me, I want to share with you my workspace. I spent the whole day today rearranging all of my craft storage, and now that it's all more easily accessible from my work area, I'm hoping I'll be able to do a lot more of it in my free time.



I spent hours emptying this unit, sorting what I wanted to keep or what could be recycled and what had to be binned, but when it was completely gutted and lay bare in front of me (I even emptied that little chest of drawers completely to replace everything in it with nicely organised craft supplies) I knew just where I wanted everything to go.

I had all these storage boxes with my supplies in, but none of it was organised, so I decided to use them a bit differently and I ended up not having to spend a single penny on my new storage system. Instead of using the boxes as just boxes I removed the lids from all of my small and medium sized boxes and gave them new life as trays. The medium sized lids are perfect trays for toppers, papers and card stock, but the smaller ones are wonderful for inks, acrylic blocks and smaller items, which tucked in nicely next to my medium trays. I only used one of the lids from my Larger storage boxes (not shown here) and that's now acting as a tray for all my pens, resting atop my paint and bead boxes in the shelf just under my desk to the right of my chair.

The small drawers on top of the unit now store (from left to right, top to bottom) miscellaneous small beads, glitters and embossing powders, self adhesive gems, miscellaneous large beads, sentiments and alphabets, and finally in the bottom drawer I have all my scraps.

I used my three small boxes as pots instead and they contain chipboards, stickers and then various embellishments.

On the bottom shelf of my unit, I've only used one of my medium sized boxes to store all of my card blanks and packaging for postage, to the side of that I have food containers that used to be filled with brads and such, now I'm saving them for clays. The brads have been organised into smaller bead boxes behind them. My large bead box is now occupied by all of my buttons.

The only thing I struggled with really were ribbons. I wasn't sure how I was going to store them at all. Until I came across a nice long piece of wired ribbon, that felt pretty strong, in with all my clutter. So I tied one end to one of the metal bars/handles of the unit, threaded my ribbons onto it, after finding most of them already on spools and tying the rest around a spare one, and then tied the other end in another neat bow. Which turned out to not only be a really practical way of storing them, but a really cute one too.

Overall, I'm happy with how I've managed to organise myself, and I hope my solutions give you some ideas if you're struggling with space as well, I don't have a lot of space on or around my desk, so I really try to make the most of it, as I'm sure you all do. Anyway, I hope I helped in some way.

I don't know how often I'll be writing this blog but I'll try to be as interesting and as helpful as I can and I love to chat about crafts, so feel free to message me via my Facebook page or Tumblr, I'll try and get back to any messages as soon as I can.

Until next time!


2 comments:

  1. Good to see you back on-line and blogging Beckit.

    Don't know whether you've seen but craftbubble is closing it's doors on August 23rd so you need to visit and save anything you want to keep before then.

    CB2 has arisen from it's ashes and may be found here .....http://craft-bubble-ii.boards.net/
    in case you are interested

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know, I'll check it out tomorrow when I've got a shorter shift at work. :)

      Delete